HomeCOMMUNITY TOPICS

Discussions and suggestions about this community.

Modifying Traffic: Tip and Question Messages in this topic - RSS

Huong Nguyen
Huong Nguyen

5/11/2011
Huong Nguyen
Huong Nguyen
This is not really related to StresStimulus, as it's more of a Fiddler functionality, but I would like to share this tip, as I just learned about it today. Modifying traffic via script is much desired for load testing because one really doesn't want to go through each single request and change the traffic for each request. It's also needed for re-usability (what if you need to re-record traffic? Don't want to go through the list and change the request again...). Use Fiddler's custom script to do this. Link: http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/dev/scriptsamples.asp

This begs the question for StresStimulus developer: Is there a way to assign Dataset-bound fields (similar to what we see in the UI) via code?
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

5/12/2011
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Huong,

Thanks for sharing the tip. I actually think that this topic is very related to StresStimulus. Because of its tight integration with Fiddler, any changes in CustomRules.js affecting requests are automatically supported by StresStimulus and will modify load test requests as coded.

You can also check this discussion on the Fiddler group about changing request: Fiddlerscript question - How to modify RequestBody before posting? This can be used for custom parameterization.

I believe that your question at the end is about using data-bound fields in a code for flexible parameterization of load test requests. Actually, it should be possible now by coding databinding manually in CustomRules.js (or other external assembly), whiles it may require to write a lot of code.

Our vision of StresStimulus is that, while getting more versatile, it should continue to be a very easy to use tool. We would like to free developers (and other web professionals), who need to load test, from writing more code. So we will work on a solution for flexible data-bound parameterization of complex web pages and web services, which does not require coding. Once progress in this direction is made I will post it here.

Cheers,

-Vadim
0 link
Huong Nguyen
Huong Nguyen

5/13/2011
Huong Nguyen
Huong Nguyen
Hi Vadim,

Thank you for the Fiddler group link. I will have a place to post questions for Fiddler there.

Yes, about the databound fields. I was hoping that StresStimulus will open up the databound API to be used in Fiddler custom code somehow, so that people who does want to write code, and feels more comfortable writing code, doesn't have to write their own databinding. I imagine this to be similar to TestComplete's scripting options.

I understand your desire to not make this code-heavy for ease of use. From working with TestComplete, however, I find that UI-heavy applications doesn't fulfill my needs most of the time, and most of the time slows down my efficiency in getting a load test up and running fast. I do have a suggestion for it to be a flexible data-bound parameterization: If users can define a set of rules (using regular expression or something), and map it to a databound field, and this rule applies to all requests in the test, that will be awesome. An example is I want the load test to use different entry id for each user and so I would want the application, whenever it sees a query string/JSON value with key = id, folderId, entryId, etc., to replace the id from the recording with a value in the configuration file that I want it to read from.

Anxiously waiting for updates... smile
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

5/14/2011
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Huong,

I think we are talking about the same thing but call it differently. We are actually planning to develop flexible request parameterization that allows defining rules of binding dataset fields with any elements of a request defined by regular expressions (Sounds familiar... Did you say that? Big Grin ). Defining such rules can be done using UI, in oppose to writing a functional code. In that respect I do not call it "coding". But I agree with you that providing high-level of flexibility is critical, and I believe that your example can be supported by using such UI.

Said that, I understand that generally UI has limits. Therefore API avenue, it is on the table. We just want to see first how far we can go with the UI solution.

As I said, as soon as we have something to show I will post.

Cheers,

-Vadim
0 link
Huong Nguyen
Huong Nguyen

5/14/2011
Huong Nguyen
Huong Nguyen
That's exactly it! UI and API. I can't wait!
0 link

Copyright © 2024 Stimulus Technology