HomeSUGGESTIONS & FEATURE REQUESTS

Recommend a feature for future StresStimulus versions.

Run test from command line Messages in this topic - RSS

Huong Nguyen
Huong Nguyen

5/20/2011
Huong Nguyen
Huong Nguyen
***Partially complete in v.0.9***
Hi Vadim,

I would like to run tests from command line for better automation. This means that the configuration page should be editable via a text editor also. Will you be supporting this?
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

5/22/2011
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Hi Huong,

I have a comment and a question:

I would like to run tests from command line for better automation. 

Running tests from command line is a great feature request. One example of when it can be helpful is when a scheduler launches previously saved test from a command line.

This means that the configuration page should be editable via a text editor also.

What do you refer to as "configuration page"? Is it a set of Load Test Configuration parameters? Can you give an example of how to use load test automation.

-Vadim
0 link
Huong Nguyen
Huong Nguyen

5/24/2011
Huong Nguyen
Huong Nguyen
Hi Vadim,

The configuration page is what's saved as the load test configuration (I'm thinking it's in .ssconfig file). The load test duration, step duration, and max vu are items that I will be changing a lot, between test iterations. There should be a way to stop and export/save results from command line also. I also hope to change primary requests from a text editor.

Right now, I'm semi-automating the test launching by doing this:
1. Save most of the common parameters in .ssconfig
2. Write a batch file that rename .saz for each test case according to machine name (overriding the one used by SS). The batch file will also launch Fiddler in no recording mode. Example: Test 1 is supposed to be ran on machine 1. SS config has name SS.ssconfig. The batch file will check if machine name is 1, then rename Test 1 to SS.saz.
3. Manually launch batch file and open .ssconfig in SS (which loads the proper test case), manually change the step duration and max vu options, and click "Start Test".
<-- This is the step that I would like to automate. Hoping that I can launch the .ssconfig file and it will open in Fiddler, and that I can change the step duration and max vu options via a text editor. If open the ssconfig with /run option - the test should be ran. I then should be able to trigger the /stop from command line and /export to stop and export the results.

In the future, I do not want to even click batch file on each computer to launch the test. If step #3 can be automated, I will write out configuration files, etc. from FinalBuilder, and launch the test from scheduled task. That way, I can use a controller machine to trigger the tests and gather results. I hope that made sense and answered your question.
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

5/24/2011
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Huong,

Thanks for your insight. This absolutely answered my question.

-Vadim
0 link
Huong Nguyen
Huong Nguyen

5/25/2011
Huong Nguyen
Huong Nguyen
smile
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

6/21/2011
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Huang,

In v0.9 we got the first crack at the command line feature. It is not nearly as complete as you've requested, but you can start a specific test from a command line - see #4 in v0.9 Release: Part 3 - More complete test.

Thanks for the good thought!

-Vadim
0 link
Huong Nguyen
Huong Nguyen

6/22/2011
Huong Nguyen
Huong Nguyen
Thank you, it does what I expect for this released version. Looking forward to the completion of this feature. smile
0 link

Copyright © 2024 Stimulus Technology