HomeSUPPORT QUESTIONS

Need help with StresStimulus? Start here.

How to control threads? Messages in this topic - RSS

Unregistered User
Unregistered User

8/1/2012
Unregistered User
Unregistered User
When I am testing with 8 users, the thread count goes from about 35 to 60 in a jump, and this appears to kill the performance on the server. 

Is there a way to control the number of threads? I would like to start with 30 users, one thread each, and then increment the users and thread by n at a time.
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

8/1/2012
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
In StresStimulus, you can directly control only the starting number of threads. The actual number of threads is controlled by the operating system on-demand, depending on the needs to issue requests.

One VU is typically does not equate to one thread. Instead, each TCP connection (i.e. an issued and pending request) uses one thread, and each VU can issue multiple concurrent requests, depending on your test case and the connection limit of the selected browser. For example, IE6 can maintain up to 2 connections, while IE9, up to 6 per host, or up to 12 in total. This explains why 8 VUs in your test consumed 35 to 60 threads.

To achieve your goal and  maintain 1 VU= 1 thread ratio, in the “browser type” section select “Custom” browser, and then set connection limit to1 per host  and 1 per proxy.

After that, set the step load pattern with desired Step VU Increase. As a result, in the key indicators graph, the Threads curve will closely follow your Users curve, as shown on the screenshot below:
 This approach, while emulating not very realistic server load, will enable to achieve your goal to closely control threads and load on your server.
0 link

Copyright © 2024 Stimulus Technology