HomeBUGS & ISSUES

Think you found a bug? Report it here.

Request headers are lost. Messages in this topic - RSS

Daniel Gioulakis
Daniel Gioulakis

10/12/2011
***Resolved***
I'm very new to SS, so maybe I have missed a setting in the configuration, but I can't seem to find a way to tell SS to use the headers from the fiddler request.

I am evaluating StresStimulus against web services which return json and bson data. These services are protected with custom authentication - very similar to OAuth2 MAC. Therefore I need specific headers sent or the request dies with an unauthorized request.

Is there no way to tell SS to keep the headers that are present in the Fiddler request?

Thanks,
Daniel
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

10/12/2011
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Hi Daniel, 

My understanding is that  during the replay, some of the  request headers recorded in Fiddler are not sent. Is this correct? What headers are missing? Also, are the missing in all StresStimulus  requests?

Cheers,

-Vadim
0 link
Daniel Gioulakis
Daniel Gioulakis

10/12/2011
Thanks for the reply:
I have a fiddler request that looks like:
Accept: application/json
User-Agent: Network.Client/1.0.0.0
Authorization: NAT.User client_id="MyClient",site_id="1607",site_secret="e16JHDNicVfXmLPYmT04qgidmJh%2fBNC1zvVU7wguIpQ%3d",user_id="12",user_password="23I6xEXPXyFx0M5m04HwcCx%2bPOzgLKj6P7Hd0i8nNDM%3d"
Host: api.networkexample.com
I would like to have SS use these headers from the Fiddler request.
These are the headers from the SS Test Case request:
Accept: application/json
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:2.0) Gecko/20110319 Firefox/4.0
Host: api.networkexample.com

0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

10/12/2011
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Daniel,
I see that the "Authorization" header is removed. This is a dynamic header. Submitting the recorded value in the "Authorization" header can fail authentication on the server. The server expects to receive dynamic values that depend on the authentication type and are dissimilar from the recording value. Therefore to handle the supported authentication types (e.g. NTLM or basic), StresStimulus replaces recorded authorization header with dynamic values, which depend on the user's credentials, etc.

In your case, StresStimulus removes the recorded headers but does not know how to generate the new ones to comply with your custom authentication. Do you know whether your server will accept the recorded header, and keeping the recorded header value will help with your performance test?  You can check this by reissuing recorded sessions in Fiddler. Select the captured sessions, right-click, select Replay –> Reissue Requests and check if the responses are authenticated.

Let me know if you are satisfied with the responses (from the performance test standpoint). Based on your feedback I may be able to provide you with a workaround. Also, can you check if the Authorization header presents all recorded session or only in those that are involved in the sign-in process.

Cheers,

-Vadim
0 link
Daniel Gioulakis
Daniel Gioulakis

10/12/2011
Our services do work with the recorded header. They are RESTful in nature - in that each request contains the authentication information required and further requests are not based upon a session identity.

Thanks again Vadim
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

10/12/2011
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Daniel,

We posted a build that keeps the recorded Authorization headers for non-supported authentication types. The direct download is here

Please let me know if it works for you so we can make it the official version

Thanks for your feedback!

-Vadim
0 link
Daniel Gioulakis
Daniel Gioulakis

10/13/2011
This is great. Everything seems to be working. The only item which seems like a bug is my User-Agent header is being replaced. I have un-checked "Replace User-Agent String" but my header is still being overwritten.

Thanks for your help Vadim. I'm going to keep testing with the trial for just a bit longer before making a decision.  Also I noticed there is support for adding Performance Counters from external machines. Is there a guide to what account permissions are required to access these counters?

Daniel
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

10/13/2011
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Hi Daniel,

Overriding User-Agent  bug is confirmed. We will release the fix shortly and I will let you know. I am glad that other headers worked for you.

SS should be able to monitor performance counter on the remote computer if they can be monitored by Perfmon. There are many sources about using Perfmon remotely with various OS and the networks, for example http://www.poweradmin.com/help/remotemonitoringhints.aspx. Once Perfmon works, try StresStimulus and please let me know if it worked too.

Cheers,
-Vadim
0 link
Daniel Gioulakis
Daniel Gioulakis

10/13/2011
I've got the performance monitors working nicely and will be running tests throughout our next sprint.  StresStimulus' integration with fiddler is excellent and makes this process much easier than that of  WCAT.  Thanks for all your help. Will keep you posted how it goes.

It already looks like we were able to find bottlenecks which might require us to re-examine our large data-transfer services.
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

10/13/2011
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Daniel,
I am glad to hear that StresStimulus helped with your performance testing / troubleshooting.Thanks for letting me know.

We posted the build with the user agent fix. The direct download is here

Looking forward to your updates.

Best,
-Vadim
0 link
Nicholas Godfrey
Nicholas Godfrey

1/14/2013
I think I've got a problem replaying with headers as well. Can I get this version to try? I have an authenticatino cookie that needs sending just as it is in the fiddler session. Is there an easy way to do that? I'm using v2.5.4752.
Nick.
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

1/14/2013
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Nick,
The issue in this post was fixed a long time ago. So your version is free from this issue.
Cheers,
-Vadim
0 link
Nicholas Godfrey
Nicholas Godfrey

1/15/2013
Can I email you some screenshots to see what you think?
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

1/15/2013
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Nick,
Sure. You can paste your screenshots in a private message. Also, you can upload your Test to our secure support repository, so I can examine it.  To do so, in StresStimulus main menu -> support options,  select "upload  support case".  Make sure to clearly describe your question.
Cheers,
-Vadim
0 link

Copyright © 2024 Stimulus Technology