HomeSUPPORT QUESTIONS

Need help with StresStimulus? Start here.

How to measure performance on server? Messages in this topic - RSS

Unregistered User
Unregistered User

2/10/2013
Unregistered User
Unregistered User
I am looking to measure the processor, network, Disk I/O and memory for a web server running a program and not for the machine running StresStimulus. What would be the best way to measure these values.
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

2/10/2013
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
StresStimulus can monitor up to 25 different Windows performance counters. By default there are a few added from the local machine, but you can replace them or add more from any of your server (web or database). So all the counters that you listed can be added.

To learn how to add Perfmon counters to StresStimulus, check item 2 in this post http://www.stresstimulus.com/blog/post/pro-edition-beta-part-1

In v 2.5 you can add performance counters directly from the toolbar Graphs toolbar,  as shown below.

For example, to monitor your server's CPU utilization,  select “Processor “ in the Performance object drop-down, and % Processor Time in the counter list.

If you cannot connect to the remote machine, resolve the issue with Perfmon first, as provided in this post  http://www.stresstimulus.com/forum/perfmon-counters-from-remote-machine-260

Once the performance counter works with Perfmon, it will work with StresStimulus as well.

Cheers
-Vadim
0 link
Unregistered User
Unregistered User

2/10/2013
Unregistered User
Unregistered User
Thanks. I am trying to measure the processor, disk I/O, network and memory usage for an application. I figured out how to add performance counters, but there are a lot of different counters that can be added  and it is hard to tell which is the best option. If I were to measure the processor, disk I/O, network and memory usage what would be the best performance counter to use.
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

2/10/2013
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Below I provided frequently used Windows performance counters from the categories that you have requested.

• Processor: Processor -> % Processor Time -> _Total

• disk I/O: PhysicalDisk category

• Network: Network Interface category

• memory usage: Process -> Virtual Bytes -> Fiddler

By no means are these counters “the best”, as Microsoft created a multitude of counters, so for each situations the best set is selected. For example, here are a few sources explaining Windows performance counters:

0 link

Copyright © 2024 Stimulus Technology