HomeSUPPORT QUESTIONS

Need help with StresStimulus? Start here.

Adding think time between individual requests and AJAX calls on the same page Messages in this topic - RSS

Ryan Schooley
Ryan Schooley

6/26/2014
Ryan Schooley
Ryan Schooley
Hey there, 

I'm load testing a certain web application that has a folder listing page (similar to Windows Explorer). The way it works is as follows: when you log in into the application, it'll load up the browse.aspx page and make an initial request to load the first 50 documents/folder. Then, if you scroll past those initial 50 or open a new folder, it will load the new entries with AJAX calls.

Let's say typical user behavior is to log into the application,  look at the first 50 documents/folders for 5 seconds, scroll down, sit for another 5 seconds, open a folder, etc. If my understanding is correct, think time is applied between pages (for example, between loading the login page and loading the browse page) but not individual requests on the page.  So if I try to use a constant 5 second thing time to replicate the real user's behavior, SS would wait 5 seconds on the login page, then load the browse page, then send all the AJAX requests (requests for opened folder or scrolling) all at once.

The problem is that this does not realistically replicate the users behavior. It sends 30 or so of these calls to the web server at once, when we expect them to be more spaced out. 

How can I make this more realistic? Is there some existing feature in SS that will allow me to add a delay between requests? Is there some way I can artificially manipulate my test case to add the delays? Would using recorded think time work?

My colleague, who is experienced with SS, seems to think it isn't possible with the existing SS feature set, but i wanted to ask here to confirm. 

Thanks in advance for your help!
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

6/26/2014
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Hi Ryan,
 Here is how to configure your use scenario: 

1. Mark the AJAX requests "as primary" as described here http://support.stresstimulus.com/display/doc37/Managing+Page+Breakdown  As a result, new pages representing "scroll /download action" will be created.

2. Set 5 seconds think time to these pages. 

When you run the test, every subsequent scroll event will be replayed with delay to reflect your users' behavior.

Does this make sense?

-Vadim
0 link
Ryan Schooley
Ryan Schooley

6/26/2014
Ryan Schooley
Ryan Schooley
Hey Vadim, 

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for your prompt reply. 
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

6/26/2014
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
You're welcome, Ryan.
0 link

Copyright © 2024 Stimulus Technology