HomeSUPPORT QUESTIONS

Need help with StresStimulus? Start here.

Debugging non UI test runs. Messages in this topic - RSS

DSF
DSF

8/3/2022
DSF
DSF
Hi,

I am running SS tests via non UI commandline executions using powershell in a pipeline. The scripts completed and there should be many test case results in the DB however only the first test case results was commited to the test repository.
I am trying to debug what happened to the other test case result data, are there any logs SS writes to if problems occur when running test cases in non UI mode?

Regards.
DSF.
0 link
George @StresStimulus
George @StresStimulus
Administrator

8/3/2022
George @StresStimulus
George @StresStimulus
Administrator
May I ask what data repository you use: local (SQL-CE or SQLLite) or centralized : (SQL server)?

StresStimulus has a trace log that you can enable, as described here. It will create a new log file for every test run.

- Cheers
0 link
DSF
DSF

8/4/2022
DSF
DSF
Hi George,
I use an offsite dedicated SQL server. Testing connectivity to the db via the SS UI works fine.
Regards.
0 link
DSF
DSF

8/8/2022
DSF
DSF
I found the issue. I use dedicated test agents to generate load and the agent service does not always start sucessfully when reverting back to the base vm's. When running the tests in non UI mode and the test agents are not available SS does nothing while the Powershell script running the tests appear to pass. When I fired up SS in UI mode and tried to run a test case an exception was raised that no test agent service was available.
Same happened when the SS agent service was available but older than the controller service, no exception raised when running in non UI mode.
Would be nice if we can have the same exception handling when running SS in non UI mode. Meanwhile I have added steps in my pipeline to ensure the test agents services are up and running before I run test cases.
0 link
George @StresStimulus
George @StresStimulus
Administrator

8/9/2022
George @StresStimulus
George @StresStimulus
Administrator
StresStimulus performs a series of checks before the non-UI mode test starts. If a check is failed, StresStimulus exists with exit code = 2 and writes an error message to the console as described https://support.stresstimulus.com/display/doc56/Command+line+interface+for+Standalone+version. Perhaps you can capture the exit code = 2 as a sign that the test didn’t start and handle it according to your requirements.

- Cheers
0 link
DSF
DSF

8/10/2022
DSF
DSF
Hi George,

I am running the non UI tests via PowerShell on Windows based vm's so when the command is executed and SS fails to run the console immediately close down and does not remain open with exit codes for me to catch. Will see what I can do but it is going take some fancy footwork to make it work if I even can.
0 link

Copyright © 2024 Stimulus Technology