HomeSUPPORT QUESTIONS

Need help with StresStimulus? Start here.

Fiddler Replay results in site database writes, StressStimulus test does not Messages in this topic - RSS

David Kelling
David Kelling

3/23/2012
David Kelling
David Kelling
I have Fiddler 2.3.9

I have the free version of StressStimulus installed and selected 

I turn on capturing for Fiddler

I load a login page for our site, log in, then go to a URL

Our site records the visit to the URL in the database

I select all session rows in Fiddler  

I click Replay in Fiddler

This 2nd visit is ALSO recorded in the database, new row

With the exact same sessions selected, I click Set Test Case (with Selected Sessions) in StressStimulus

(1 VU added every second up to 10 VUs, are other details relevant?)

I click Start

A bunch of stuff happens, graphs are created, I'll learn what they mean later

NOTHING is recorded in the database

It seems I am asking StressStimuls to perform the exact same thing that happened when I clicked Replay in Fiddler, but clearly I am not...

I would appreciate insight, suggestions, speculation as to what I am doing wrong or need to do to get these URL visits to be recorded in the database as actually having been visited. It seems to me I want actual writes to the database happening in order to have a valid test...

Thanks much for helping out the flunky!

David
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

3/24/2012
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Hi David,

First, I can assure you that requiring a load test to produce the same result as the application does, is not too much to ask. In this respect I'm on board with you. So both: the explanation of what caused the issue, and the way to fix it, definitely exists. The other question is, whether we have enough information to answer these two questions. But since you are okay with a speculation, I will offer you one :-)

Here's what possibly happened. You opened the initial page that established a client session. Then you logged in to your website and performed the action (went to a URL). However, somehow the session-establishing request or your login request was not captured or was deleted in Fiddler.

When Fiddler replayed the requests, the server was maintaining the same client session. It accepted the requests because Fiddler caches the session IDs / security tokens and includes them in the request headers. However, when StresStimulus engine replayed the same sessions, (i.e. incomplete scenario), the server established a new session with new security tokens, and it rejected the recorded session id or security token.

In order to dynamically maintain the session's integrity in StresStimulus, the test case must include the initial "handshaking" requests establishing client session/login.  StresStimulus recorder is designed to help avoiding the "incomplete test case" errors.

As in any speculation, this may not be what actually happened.  But thanks to Fiddler and StresStimulus transparency, you can troubleshoot and find out exactly what happened by comparing recorded and replayed requests and responses. To do so:

1. Run the test in debug mode with 1 VU. The replayed sessions will appear in the Fiddler grid.

2.Display the matching recorded sessions.

3. Compare the in with windiff

This exercise should give you a pretty complete picture of what has happened.

The first step to fix the issue should be using the Recorder to record the test case instead of  manually setting the test case.

Does it make sense?

-Vadim

0 link
David Kelling
David Kelling

4/4/2012
David Kelling
David Kelling
Thank you so much for your informative reply.  Priorities at work changed and sadly, I have not been able to get back to this.  I look forward to it though!  Just wanted to thank you in a (somewhat) timely fashion...
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

4/7/2012
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
You are welcome, David.
-Vadim
0 link

Copyright © 2024 Stimulus Technology