HomeBUGS & ISSUES

Think you found a bug? Report it here.

New Version 1.5 SQL size limitation = No large long tests Messages in this topic - RSS

Martin Hall
Martin Hall

2/12/2012
Martin Hall
Martin Hall
***Resolved in the final v.1.5 on 3/1/12***
Now I could be wrong on this however I think that the internal SQL engine has a hard limit of 4gb and I tried to run a soak test over the weekend and I got the following error

Overall Result
StatusAborted
ReasonThe database file is larger than the configured maximum database size. This setting takes effect on the first concurrent database connection only. [ Required Max Database Size (in MB; 0 if unknown) = 4071 ]

the above looks like a .NET default error message to me and some investigation gave the following results.
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/streaminsight/thread/57d314c4-6b2e-4215-919c-e6b935b682ce/
and
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7050873/sqlce-database-size-issue

Is there a way to set a data source as my own SQL DB. This way if a user had a full MSSQL licence there would be no limit. Or even better to offer mutiple database support like MYSql etc.
One quick and dirty hack could be writing the data to a CSV or txt file which obviously would have no limits and then could be parsed back into StressStimulus.

So far i've not been able to give a web app a large load with a run of more than 4 hours. Each time I've hit the SQL limit.
Thanks
Martin

This is regarding the following post http://www.stresstimulus.com/forum/stresstimulus-powered-by-embedded-sql-server-targets-large-tests-240
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

2/12/2012
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Hi Martin,

You are correct that SqlCE database size is limited to 4GB. Currently the SqlCE is the only data source supported by StresStimulus .

I like your suggestion about supporting different Test repository formats. We will add it hopefully in the final 1.5 release later this month. Thanks for the hint! I'll make sure to drop you a note when it is done.

In the meantime, I can offer you the following workarounds.

First, make sure that the "purge response bodies" option in the StresStimulus menu -> "Options" is set to "All" or "Non-Errors". This will ensure that response bodies are truncated. They are mainly needed for troubleshooting errors occurring under load, and rarely needed for performance test analysis.

Second, you can set "save results" in "other options " to "partial", as shown below, to purge the entire content of HTTP sessions, and saving only performance information. This option will not limit any of the performance reports or graphs and will allow to run much longer tests.

I realize that the 4 GB limit will not be sufficient for all tests, but we have customers running 48-hour tests without reaching the capacity.

So, how do you determine in advance whether you need to use those workaround for your tests, without actually hitting the exception in the middle of a long test?

Here's a tip: run your test for a few minutes and watch the "storage used" value on the fiddler status line.

In your test, for example, after 5 minutes it will probably show 2%  (assuming, that you used steady load pattern). Simple math will give you an estimate run out time :
(5 min * 100%)/2% = 250 min ~ 4 h

If you need to run longer tests than the estimate run out time, use the workaround above.

Cheers,
-Vadim
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

2/29/2012
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Hi Martin,

This feature was included in the final v1.5 release. Please check this post