HomeSUPPORT QUESTIONS

Need help with StresStimulus? Start here.

questions about performance counters Messages in this topic - RSS

Unregistered User
Unregistered User

8/18/2012
Unregistered User
Unregistered User
The questions below where copied from this post to start a new discussion for better searchability. 

Would you please answer me the following questions?
1, In the test result I can see the Performance Counters with a graph. It contains Total and Fiddler processor Time and Virtual Bytes. Is there any other place where I can see the same result with detail statistic table?
2, My understanding is Total processor is CPU usage in all, including all processes running in current computer. Fiddler processor means how much usage the Fiddler process occupies. If I'm correct, I have question. From one test result of my websites, there is a spot that Fiddler processor time is bigger than Total processor time, what does it mean?
3, Is there any way to see windows performance counters on the Server via StresStimulus?

Thank you in advance.
Shasha
0 link
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator

8/18/2012
Vadim @StresStimulus
Vadim @StresStimulus
Administrator
Below are the answers:
1.    StresStimulus in essence has built in Windows PerfMon, as it uses its API. So StresStimulus performance counters are exactly the same as in PerfMon. You can run them side-by-side to see that they show the same numbers.

2. Consider these three factors.

1. When you run a test with substantial load, then almost the entire CPU utilization (99.99 %?) will be generated by StresStimulus in the Fiddler process. So, basically you comparing 100% with 99.9% and, while the second number must be smaller, they're very close.

2. While we think that both parameters are measured at the “same” moment, in reality the two measurements can be taken slightly apart time-wise.

3. CPU utilization is a very fast changing metrics.

So the weird resulted that you've described probably can be explained by comparing two very close and fast changing parameters that are measured not always at the same time.

3. Yes. StresStimulus can monitor performance counters on the remote computers, if they can be monitored by Perfmon. You can select performance counters relevant to your platform. For example, here are a few sources explaining performance counters in Windows:

You can add performance counters directly from the graph, as shown on the screenshot below,

or check the item 2 of this post http://www.stresstimulus.com/blog/post/pro-edition-beta-part-1

Also, check this post http://www.stresstimulus.com/forum/perfmon-counters-from-remote-machine-260 If the remote counter you need does not work right away, resolve the issue with PerfMon first. There are many sources about using Perfmon remotely with various OS and the networks, for example http://www.poweradmin.com/help/remotemonitoringhints.aspx. Once the performance counter works with Perfmon it will work with StresStimulus as well.

Cheers,
-Vadim
0 link

Copyright © 2024 Stimulus Technology